Samsung (L)GPL violation (FFmpeg/SmartTV)
Bug Ficks
2014-08-22 14:48:45 UTC
Hello,

about 4 weeks ago I've emailed Samsung about a license violation in one
of their core libraries used in their SmartTVs. They've copied and
renamed some parts from FFmpeg.
Yesterday they finally released "source" which was exactly one .c and
one .h file with code copied from FFmpeg plus a bunch of precompiled files.
Since FFmpeg can be used with either GPL or LGPL my question is, can
Samsung decide to use LGPL after they've already been caught in a
license violation?

Kind Regards,
-bugficks
Wiedemann, Claus-Peter
2014-08-23 07:15:41 UTC
If they are using FFmpeg according to LGPL, i.e as a library and are otherwise complying with the license terms then this seems to be ok. But they don't seem to comply since they would have had to provide the source code of the whole library, including their changes. Only one source file doesn't seem to be the whole library. Did they provide the LGPL license text with the product?

Claus-Peter
Post by Bug Ficks
Hello,
about 4 weeks ago I've emailed Samsung about a license violation in one
of their core libraries used in their SmartTVs. They've copied and
renamed some parts from FFmpeg.
Yesterday they finally released "source" which was exactly one .c and
one .h file with code copied from FFmpeg plus a bunch of precompiled files.
Since FFmpeg can be used with either GPL or LGPL my question is, can
Samsung decide to use LGPL after they've already been caught in a
license violation?
Kind Regards,
-bugficks
________________________________
BearingPoint GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Marcel Nickler (Vorsitzender), Hans-Werner Wurzel (stellv. Vorsitzender), Kiumars Hamidian, Kai Wächter, Dr. Robert Wagner
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Beat Leimbacher
Sitz: Frankfurt am Main
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB 55490

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any
Bug Ficks
2014-08-24 14:27:15 UTC
They're using FFmpeg in different places and they provide "Show Open
Source Licenses" from main menu.

This case is different though. They didn't use lib as a whole but just
copied and renamed some functions. They even removed license header from
those 2 source files.

http://opensource.samsung.com -> TV -> ETC -> libSDAL.zip

In that zip are tsmuxenc.c and tsmuxenc.h which are based on
https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/mpegtsenc_8c.html

Also as Engel pointed out they didnt comply to FFmpeg LGPL requirements
(https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html).

I just emailed Samsung again that they failed about every point from
that checklist and are required to release full source code.

If you're interested I'll keep you posted.

Thanks at all for provided input!

Kind Regards,
-bugficks
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.
Ralph Corderoy
2014-08-25 10:11:58 UTC
Hi bugficks,
Post by Bug Ficks
In that zip are tsmuxenc.c and tsmuxenc.h which are based on
https://www.ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/mpegtsenc_8c.html
Thanks for the precise detail.
Post by Bug Ficks
If you're interested I'll keep you posted.
Yes, please keep the list succinctly posted; its archive is a useful
public resource for future Googlers.

Cheers, Ralph.
Bug Ficks
2014-08-26 14:14:19 UTC
Today Samsung re-uploaded libSDAL.zip. Archive now contains LGPL-2.1.txt
and they've added proper license headers to tsmuxenc.h/.c.

It's still not a full source release though.

For completeness I've added my last mail and their response below.

-bugficks

On 8/25/2014 9:21 AM, Opensource Request wrote:

Dear Bug Ficks,

Thank you for your advices.
Unfortunately we have missed LGPL v2.1 license notice on 2 files'
heading with our fault.
We will correct and re-upload as soon as possible.
Sorry for this fault.

For other question, we have delivered to developers of your mail.
When their reply is arrives, we will let you know in shout time.

Thank you at all time.
Kindly regards,
Samsung Visual Display Division's Opensource team.

Date : 2014-08-24 23:11:59 (GMT+09:00)

Subject:Re: [Notification from Samsung Open Source Release Center]

Hello,

I finally got feedback from gpl-violations.org.

I'm sorry to inform you that your libSDAL release is not sufficient.
Samsung is required to release full source code for libSDAL.

You fail LGPL requirements for FFmpeg in about every point listed here:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

-no dynamic linking
-not using lib FFmpeg but only copied some functions/structures.
-you even removed FFmpeg license from tsmuxenc.h/.c

Hence to conform with LGPL Samsung has to release complete source code.

Kind Regards,
-bugficks

Post by Stijn Devriendt
Hi bugficks,
Cheers, Ralph.
Bug Ficks
2014-08-29 11:47:02 UTC
Latest response from Samsung + my reply.
Also the same violation is found in another lib (libMali.so)

-bugficks

Hello,

I know I can build libSDAL.so with files from libSDAL.zip, that is not
the issue.
The issue is that you can't simply copy functions, etc from FFmpeg into
your own files and then say it's LGPL. FFmpeg has a checklist what you
are allowed to do and what not (most notably use FFmpeg as whole and
dynamic linking).
Since you fail about every point in that checklist you are required to
release full source code for both libSDAL and libMali.

Thanks for looking into libMali.so issue.

Kind Regards,
-bugficks

On 8/29/2014 1:11 PM, Opensource Request wrote:> [SAMSUNG OSRC COMMENTS
DELIVERY NOTIFICATION]
Dear bugficks,
Thank you for your interest in our product.
For < libSDAL.so > request, we have done our internal review with
developer and license members.
This was an oversight and we do apologize for this error.
The only source code affected that was re-used from ffmpeg is tsmuxenc.c
and tsmuxenc.h.
As like our previous mail, the affected source code, other needed object
http://opensource.samsung.com/ -> TV&VIDEO -> libSDAL.zip
You can make the whole libSDAL.so without any difficulties.
Other model's attected code that was re-used from ffmpeg will be
uploaded in a few days.
And < libMALI.so >, we are currently reviewing internally.
We can reply for our inspection result within next week.
Thank you for your patience in advance.
Cheers, Ralph.
Stijn Devriendt
Hi bugficks,
Engel Nyst
2014-08-23 22:58:01 UTC
Post by Bug Ficks
Since FFmpeg can be used with either GPL or LGPL my question is, can
Samsung decide to use LGPL after they've already been caught in a
license violation?
FFmpeg is licensed LGPLv2.1+, unless optional parts that are GPLv2+ are
used.
The project maintains a license compliance checklist:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html