ZyXEL refusing to release GPL source code for NBG4615
Constantine A. Murenin
2014-04-03 02:58:11 UTC
Hello,

I would like to report of an apparent GPL violation by ZyXEL
Communications Corporation, in their failure to provide me with the
source code of NBG4615, which I've purchased in August 2011.

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-NBG4615-300Mbps-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B004UBFV8Q
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1310982
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ZyXEL_NBG4615

I've sent two "Free Software Inquiry" emails to ***@zyxel.com.tw
in January 2012, but haven't received any response.

I've contacted license-***@gnu.org in March 2012, but they've
suggested that I must first know which FSF software is at stake of
being infringed upon prior to FSF being able to take any action; I've
provided them with the manual of the device.

I've also filled in and submitted the web-form in March 2014 at
http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/form/gpl_oss_form.shtml, but I still
haven't heard anything back from ZyXEL, not even any email
confirmation.

The binary firmware for my device can be found here:
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NBG4615/
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NBG4615/firmware/

The manual is here, which does, in fact, contain a copy of the GNU GPL.
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NBG4615/user_guide/NBG4615_2.pdf

ZyXEL's opensource ftp site doesn't have any sign of an NBG4615
directory, either:
ftp://opensource.zyxel.com/

What's next?

Are they just getting away with not releasing the source code?

P.S. They've since discontinued NBG4615, replaced it with NBG4615_v2,
but there's no source code at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/NBG4615_v2/, either.

Best regards,
Constantine.